Pages

Wednesday 4 September 2013

First Impressions: AppleCheeks Size 1 Diaper

Having a 9 day old baby means that just about everything is a first impression! This week we're starting to test out the waters with cloth diapering, now that mommy can move around a lot easier.

AppleCheeks is a pocket diaper (well, they call it "envelope" because their design is slightly different) that comes in two sizes. Size 1 fits 7-20 pounds and size 2 fits 18-40 pounds. I have a size 1 diaper and an approximately 9 pound baby.

Yellow diaper by itself

I have the colour Lemon Zest, which I chose to match the colour of her poop. Also, it's bright and sunny which is nice to see. I didn't use it with an AppleCheeks bamboo insert, but instead used my Bummis cotton insert, which is bulkier. I think this is why I was pretty much on the largest setting, even though she's not close to 20 pounds. Even so, the fit was really nice because of the way the legs and waist are nice and elasticated. It's always funny to see a huge cloth diaper on a little baby.

Bum shot of Zoe laying on the couch the first time wearing her new diaper

I also used a Bummis (I think) bamboo liner which meant that as soon as I put the diaper on and she pooped, I was able to change the liner and keep wearing the rest of the diaper. That is super useful, as she loves to poop in a clean diaper!

This is a Canadian company that designs AND manufactures in Canada, which I really appreciate. They also give some of their proceeds to charity, though I'm not sure how much. Their diapers are on the expensive side at $20 for a cover, $10 for an insert, and $5 for a liner, but if you use liners you can get a few wears out of the same cover (and maybe even insert if you're fast enough) before washing. In their starter kit they give you 3 inserts for every cover, so I'm guessing you could use the cover around 3 times in a row.

I have some other brands to test out (Bummis, Bum Genius, GroVia, and FuzziBunz), but I can see myself buying more of these for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment