Pages

Friday 17 January 2014

Nursing Necklace

Now that baby is almost 5 months old, she has very wander-y hands while she's nursing. In an effort to spare myself from her tiny razor claws, I decided it was time to get myself a nursing/teething necklace.


I wanted something as natural as I could get, so I went with a natural maple finished with organic beeswax and jojoba oil. It does feel a bit dry though, so I think I'll coat it with some coconut oil. It looks simple and nice and hangs out just where little hands can find it.

 

There were some at the store that I went to that were wooden beads without the teething ring, but little miss chomper loves to bite on things and I wanted to have the ring available. I also like the look of the ones with a ring and beads together, but maybe I'll find one of those in the future.

They look really simple to make, but I don't know where to find safe materials, nor am I really willing to put in the effort at this point to find them. I think the silicon ones in bright colours look awesome but every time I spend money on a retail item (ie. not handed down or thrifted), I want to go as checmical-free as possible. She will inevitably put loads of toxins into her mouth just by experiencing our world, so I just like to feel that I'm contributing to her safety. For all I know the pretty bright silicon ones are just fine, but my knowledge of their creation vs. wood is low. I know how a tree grows.

Overall I am very happy having bought this necklace and even the baby seems to love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment