Pages

Monday 29 July 2013

Product Review: Olliffe Butcher Shop Leslieville Bone-in Ribeye

While exploring a little bit of Leslieville this Sunday, we made the last minute decision to check out Olliffe Butcher Shop before catching our streetcar back west of the Don Valley. I went in and announced to the butcher that I never cook steak because all I have is a cast iron pan and no grill and stood there, challenging him to sell me on some meat. I told him that the biggest reason I don't even try is because I don't want to spend good money on meat that I can't cook to its full potential.

This guy was very charismatic and told us about a time when he thought that way. Then he said that ribeye was a great steak to cook in a pan and that a chef he once knew in a fancy-pants restaurant actually said a cast iron pan was the preferred method of cooking bone-in ribeye. He walked me through exactly how to cook it:

1. Heat a cast iron pan up for about 20 minutes on medium-high heat. Preheat the oven to 350.

2. Sear the steak on both sides after the pan has heated up.

3. In a separate vessel, place the steak in the oven for 15-20 minutes per pound.

4. Cut the bone off to check how done it is and then let it rest for 10 minutes. 

I cooked my 1.8 pound bone-in ribeye for about 32 minutes and then cut the bone off. It was cooked about medium. I wish I had checked it earlier, but my initial fears that I had overcooked it were unfounded. The flavour was phenomenal and the texture was soft and wonderful. Nothing like any steak I've ever cooked at home before.

Steak in the pan with zucchini and mushroom

I paired the steak with seared zucchini and mushrooms and garlic mashed potatoes. What a beautiful Sunday night dinner.
 
Cut up steak on the plate with mashed potatoes and grilled veggies

No comments:

Post a Comment